Thursday, April 11, 2013

Vision Thing

Yesterday I went to the DMV to get my driver's license renewed.  For the last two renewals, they've been kind enough to let me mail in my renewal payments, but this year the letter said they wanted to meet me in person, give me a vision test, and take a new picture and my thumbprint, all for only $32!!  Needless to say, I was simply thrilled.

Now, I've worn glasses since I was 15 years old, so I've always had "Corrective lenses" on my license... no big deal there.  But this time I managed to work myself into a tizzy because the glasses I wear at home, work, etc. are NOT the same glasses I wear to drive.  Both my sunglasses and my "night driving" glasses are a much older prescription; with them, my far vision is very clear, but I can't wear them for regular things like reading, writing, sewing and computer work.  The 'newer' glasses (which are older than my son!) that I wear for everything else are better for regular wear, but I can't wear them for driving anymore because distances (including signs) and wide views are blurry, and in the dark it's even worse because of headlight glare.  And I can't afford new glasses, even though we have vision insurance through work (it sucks).  Anyway, I had convinced myself that I would wear the wrong glasses to the DMV, fail the vision test, and lose my license!  Dumb, I know, but I just could not get this scenario out of my head. 

Anyway, I arrived at the DMV in a new outfit, figuring that if I were dressed to kill (figuratively, of course!), it would override my anxiety, and I was right.  I wore the bat tights and choker in my 'Pre-Birthday Loot' post, along with a black tank and black tulle skirt... AND the right glasses.  When I came up to the Appointments window, the guy (who is probably a few years older than I am) broke into a huge smile and said, "I LOVE that choker, where did you get it?"  Then when he saw my first name on the form, he reached out and shook my hand, and said, "I see you're Old School."  I asked, "So you're one of us, then?" And he grinned, put his finger to his lips and said, "Shhhhh!"  Goths working at the DMV... Go figure!

By this time I was feeling much better, but the grand prize came when I sat down to wait to be called, noticed the vision test signs on the walls, and realized I could read them from the middle of the room!  The letters were small and it was tricky, but I could actually read them.  When I got to the counter and took the test, they looked HUGE.  It was a total piece of cake.  Whew...  I walked out with my temporary updated license, no problem.

So I get my new license with new picture in a few weeks.  Maybe it will actually somewhat resemble me.  And I'm wearing my new choker in the pic!  Life is good.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on renewing your licence! In Germany, you get your dirver's licence once and for all (no new pic, no vision tests) which might no be so good once you grow older and lose sight... Did you take (another besides your licence ^^) picture of the outfit? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wow, I'm not sure I'd like that! As you say, after so long you wouldn't look like your picture anymore, and what if you can't see to drive? That seems weird to me; I can see this old lady with white hair showing her license with a pic of her as a teenager! How do they know it's really HER?? Here, after a certain age they make you go in to check your vision EVERY year, which makes sense.

      I don't have a cell phone or digital camera, so I can't post pics of outfits at this time. But I'm hoping for a camera soon, and it will definitely be an outfit I will post! :-)

      Delete
  2. WAHOO! Awesomeness.

    Ok, now that you brought it up in your post title ... what's your favorite Sister's album? Ed is convinced that one's favorite Sister's album tells a lot about that person. *snicker* I guess it's ... Andrewmancy? HAHAHAHAHA! Whew. I'm a "First Last and Always" and "Floodland" kind of gal. You?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrewmancy... hehehe, that's hilarious! Tell Ed that I would appreciate a 'reading' from him on this, if you please. ;-)

      Honestly, I like all three albums. I'd have to say that 'Floodland' and 'Vision Thing' are tied for first place, with VT perhaps a nose ahead. VT has more in number of my favorite songs on it than the others, but 'Floodland' has more of my TOP favorite songs, if you see what I mean. And FALAA is only a short distance behind the other two.

      My favorite songs are: Lucretia, My Reflection (of course!), Floorshow, Driven Like the Snow, When You Don't See Me, 1959, Vision Thing, This Corrosion, Dominion... Think I'd better stop there, or this will become a post in itself! Which are your favorite songs? And what does your favorite album say about you??

      Delete
    2. What about Some Girls Wander By Mistake? Favorites from there are Floorshow, Alice, Body Electric and Anaconda ... four of my favs to dance to. Hmmm ... songs. From FALAA: Marian and Nine While Nine (of course, so typical) ... though I like Black Planet. Floodland .. I love that whole album. I get some intense associations and memories when I listen to it. Driven Like the Snow and Dominion/Mother Russia I love. Vision Thing is probably my least favorite album ... Detonation Blvd is fun.

      I'll have to ask him about his predictions. I'm in the library and can't remember what he said.

      Delete
    3. I thought of 'Some Girls', but I thought that was one of the greatest hits albums and I wasn't counting those (like 'Overbombing'). Aaaccckkk, too much good music, I'm getting overwhelmed here!!! (And currently listening to "More" on the 'Vision Thing' album.) :-)

      Delete
    4. It's not really a greatest hits album, more like a comp of all the EPs that came before FALAA. Everything before FALAA was released on EP.

      So, I talked to Ed. Here's the run down of Andrewmancy: if FALAA is your favorite you are more punk rock old school. Floodland, you are more artsy. Vision Thing, you are more rock n' roll. What about Some Girls? Well, he didn't have an answer at first .... Then he said one would be gothier than dirt! Hahahahah! :)

      Delete
    5. I guess that makes me an artsy rock 'n roll gal with just a touch of Old School! woo-HOOOO!!!

      Delete
    6. That sounds about right. :) hehehe ...

      Delete
    7. And in response to what you just posted on my blog ... I give you the most gorgeous man in the world singing for one of the most stunning bands ever:

      http://youtu.be/1G3BVhOutOc

      Delete
    8. Oh, YESSS... ::DROOLS::

      Have you seen "Soul Stripper" from the same concert??? Those guys are to DIE for!!! Eye candy AND great music, what more could we ask???

      Delete
    9. YES! YES! YES! *SWOON* ... *faint* Sooooo beautiful and the music is good, too. HAHAHAHA! Yeah, we would be dangerous together. HA!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a neat story. It always feels good when we run into and get complimented by fellow Goths--and at the DMV of all places!

    I'm like you with the glasses situation. I just found out last month that I now need glasses to drive. The prescription glasses work for driving but are useless when I'm on the computer though.I use reading glasses at home for my book reading, but alas, these are not usable for computer work either; and that's where I do most of most of my reading. I prefer sun glasses when outside because the sun's glare hurts my eyes...Well, you get the picture, my vision situation is a total mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never drive during the day without sunglasses, not even when it's overcast. Before finding my night-driving glasses in a drawer a few months ago, I would have worn my sunglasses at night if possible! Honestly, I don't know HOW I would have passed that test if I hadn't found that other pair.

      Hmmm, perhaps the expression 'blind as a bat' has more truth to it than we realized! ;-)

      Delete