Thursday, May 15, 2014

Do I Really Look THAT Old???

On Friday, May 9, 2014, I went through another one of those annoying life passages...

I was driving up to Clearlake (again) to collect and pay my mom's bills and visit her for Mother's Day.  As usual, my first pit stop was at the Jack in the Box in American Canyon, just on the other side of the Vallejo city limit.  Also as usual, after using the ladies' room, I bought a bottle of water, which is $1.59 + tax for a total of $1.72.  I ordered from the same lady I frequently see there; she's at least my age, probably a bit older.  But this time the total came to only $1.18.  Weird.  I sneaked a look up at the menu board, but it still said $1.59 there... huh??  Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, however, I paid the $1.18, grabbed my bottle and left.

As I got into the car, curiosity got the better of me (it's my cat nature).  I checked the receipt and nearly choked, then burst out laughing; she had deducted 50 cents as a "senior discount"!!!  Seriously???  She didn't ask me if I was over any particular age, and I was wearing my usual jeans and a gothy t-shirt.  I certainly did NOT look like a "senior" anything!  Well, I had no idea what their age limit is, so I decided to enjoy the joke, the water, AND the discount.

After I got home, however, I couldn't resist the urge to go onto Mr. Box's website and check their senior discount age limit.  When I did I was sorry... Do I really look like I'm at least 55?????  Yes, I know that 52 isn't that far off, but still, I've got SOME pride.  Martin assures me that I don't even look 50 yet, but either that lady was reading my tree rings wrong or something looks older than it should.

Anyway, I've spent all this week dressing in some of my awesome gothy spring/summer clothes, and I feel MUCH better now!  Hmph... Senior, my @$$!  (However, this will NOT stop me from starting to ask about senior discounts at other places.  Why not pay less if I can do it legally??)

18 comments:

  1. Maybe she was just being nice and tried to save you some money? I'd always try to see the positive side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go with that one, yes! She probably saw the white and silver streaks in my hair and figured I was close enough. And though I'd have preferred that she ask first rather than assume, I actually don't feel offended. :-)

      Delete
  2. It must be in the air. I had something similar happen, but to opposite. People should not assume things....seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, we all know that story of why one should never assume! Although I admit I wouldn't mind being carded again. ;-)

      Delete
  3. DAY-um, I am 55, and no one has given me a discount yet! I'd better start demanding them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, you should!! Since obviously you don't LOOK like you're 55 yet. :-)

      Delete
  4. When I worked at a food place we were supposed to ask seniors if they had a senior card for discount. I once asked one of the post David Jones ladies if she had a senior card and she was very offended. Then again another lady was flattered that I didn't ask her for one. Ha ha. Oh well. It's funny that someone who seems to be around your age did it, because normally it's the young kids just out of school who make assumptions like grey hair equals senior. You certainly have more style than most seniors I have seen, not to mention you look great! Maybe she wanted to feel better about herself? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments! :-) And I know what you mean. That's one of the reasons I laughed so much, because she actually looks older than I do! But maybe she's bad about judging age (I know I am), or maybe she just wanted to give me a discount. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'd definitely go with the "she was just being nice theory". Regardless, 55 just sounds too young to be a classified a "senior" anyway. Not these days. 50 is the new 40, isn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, and I am. And I've never thought of 55 as being "old", one has to be at least 70 in my book for that! I like the idea of 50 being the new 40... or maybe even the new 35??? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ha! I like the way you think, Lucretia! From now on, 50 is the new 35!! ;D

      Delete
  6. I'm a bit sensitive on such matters. I really hate it when people address me as "Sir." I wish they wouldn't do it as it's damaging to the ego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. The big problem is, what should people call you if they don't know your name and are trying to get your attention? I'm okay with "Ma'am" (although I prefer "Miss"), but anything is better than the old "Madam", which makes me sound like a hooker! The only alternative title to "Sir" that we seem to have for men nowadays is "dude", and while you're young enough that it might be acceptable to you, somehow it just doesn't seem appropriate for senior men, if you know what I mean! What kind of general title do you think should be used for men, any ideas? (That would actually make a great post!)

      Delete
    2. You make a good point and I just don't know. Quite frankly, I'd rather be called dude than sir, regardless of age. But I know that sir is considered more respectful.

      I often think of a TV commercial I once saw. A man who looks about 30 comes to a stop light and a car filled with young women pulls up next to him. One of the ladies rolls her window down, calls him sir and asks for directions. He was totally deflated.

      Delete
    3. Ughh, I'd be deflated by something like that, too! I remember when I first started working at the university Financial Aid office. At that time, the we had a separate office with a counter, and students could come in and turn in paperwork, ask about their aid, etc. When I pulled them up on the computer I could see their birth dates; needless to say, I checked out all the birth dates of the cuter and/or more interesting guys. (I was divorcing at the time after 11 years of marriage.) It was very depressing that almost all the guys I liked were at least ten years younger than I was! I actually met my current husband that way; fortunately, he was only six years younger and didn't care!! ;-)

      Considering that "sir" and "ma'am" are titles dating back to at least the Middle Ages (and possibly before), I think it's more than time we updated our language!

      Delete
  7. I have the opposite problem. I'm 33 and get carded for buying cold medicine (which you have to be 18 for) and even carded for R-rated movies, lol!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that could get REALLY annoying, especially with the cold medicine! But that sounds weird to me anyway, as we don't get carded for that here.

      Delete